Wednesday, January 26, 2011

4 Reasons to Love Lists

Hi everyone! We're getting yet another snow storm here in Boston - I don't know whether I'm over it or used to it yet.

If you read the last post about 5 minute fillers, you know that a key part of this strategy is making a list. Organized people, especially professional organizers, are often known for their list-making, sometimes to the point of being made fun of by other less-list-inclined friends and family. Before you poke fun at your list-making friends, consider the many benefits of making a list...

1) The most obvious and well-known benefit is that lists help you remember things! A basic example of this is a grocery list - have you ever tried to grocery shop without a list and come home without something you need? I have!

2) Making lists also helps you clear the clutter from your head so you can focus on other more important things rather than trying to keep track of all your to-do's like little sticky notes floating around your brain. Spending 5 minutes each day downloading the to-do's in your head to a list, whether you prefer paper or electronic, can help stop you from waking up in the middle of the night thinking about what you need to remember tomorrow! Speaking of, that's a great activity to add to your 5 minute fillers list :)

3) Lists can help you structure your time efficiently. If you can see what you need to do, it is easier to prioritize and plan your day so the most important tasks get taken care of. The 5 minute fillers list is a great example of using a list to help you use your time efficiently.

4) And last but not least, if you have a list, you get to cross things off of it! Ok, I'll admit, I've gone back and added things to a list, just to have the sense of accomplishment of crossing them off. And yes, this is often why list-makers get made fun of, but there is truly some benefit to knowing how you're spending your time and seeing what you've accomplished. For one thing, it just feels good to get things done, but this benefit can also help you improve your time management skills since it helps you get a better sense of what you can realistically get done during your day.

Bottom Line: Don't dismiss the power of lists! They are a simple strategy that can help you remember what you need to get done, clear your head, use your time efficiently, and know what you got done.

By the way, for those who joined me on the 5 minutes fillers list challenge, I was pretty pleased with my progress. I completed about 75% of the tasks I'd put on my list in only a couple days and also completed several other nagging tasks along the way. Now I'll admit, there are a few items from the original list that are yet to be completed, but overall I like this strategy. I have no doubt that it increased my 'spare time' productivity and helped me get more done than if I didn't have the list to rely on. I plan to keep up this practice and make it a habit - how about you?

2 comments:

  1. This week, during a snow day home from school, my five-year-old said, "Today's I'm making a list of the things we will do. Then I'll check the things off when we do them." She carried her list around all day. She really IS my kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Good organizing skills can definitely start early on. And this is a great example that kids can/do pick up on what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete