Sunday, April 25, 2010

Benefits of Getting Organized

So what can getting organized, or at least working toward it, do for you? I recently came across this guest post on one of my favorite blogs that spells out Seven Benefits of Uncluttering. As a professional organizer, I definitely have a natural love of all things organized and the process of organizing, but that is not to say that my life hasn't had its pockets of clutter along the way. It really wasn't until I started to get serious about organizing a couple years ago that I became aware of several of the benefits described. The ones that really hit home for me are 1) Save Money, 4) Help Others, and 7) Reduce Stress.

Since catching the decluttering bug, I know my financial bottom line is better off. I was never a big spender, but I now have an increased awareness about my purchases that, for the most part, stops useless items from making their way into my home. My shopping filter is motivated both by the financial savings as well as the desire to keep clutter at bay - double defense! This doesn't mean I don't buy anything, but I'm careful about what and have noticed that I really enjoy/use/love what I do buy.

During the process of decluttering, most people generate significant amounts of stuff that's headed out the door. But where does it all go? Since I'm not big on throwing out items that others could use, trips to local donation centers have become part of my routine. It feels so much better to let someone else have the chance to use items I don't need, rather than have let them lie dormant in my closets.

But it is truly the last benefit - reducing stress - that has had the greatest impact for me. There is just something so 'freeing' about finishing unfinished projects, creating space by letting go of clutter, and getting systems in place that allow you to stay on top of it all. And as a bonus, less clutter means easier cleaning - now that's a powerful stress buster for me!

And while this hasn't been a driver for me, I also found number three - Get more space. Afford more house. - especially intriguing. As author Gregory Go puts it:

"What percentage of your home is used for clutter storage? You may be shocked to learn the percentage of your rent or mortgage payments being used to store that old TV, extra couch, and broken coffee maker."

Living in an expensive real estate market, I know I will be thinking about any remaining clutter with a different eye! What motivates you to get organized?

No comments:

Post a Comment